- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onion, jalapeno, oregano and cumin in oil for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of beans; add 1/2 cup broth and stir until blended.
- Add to the slow cooker with the remaining beans and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until heated through.
- Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired.