Mini Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Calzones
- 1 1/8 cups warm water (100-105 F degrees)
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce + more for dipping
- 4 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces freshly grated provolone cheese
- fresh cilantro, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the whole wheat flour and salt, mixing until the dough begins to come together.
- Since it will probably still be sticky, add in another 1/2 cup of all purpose flour, kneading the dough with your hands and then turning it onto a work surface to knead for a few minutes.
- If dough is still sticky, add the remaining flour until it is soft, smooth and stretchy.
- Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once risen, punch down the dough and knead a few times, adding a few spoonfuls of flour if sticky.
- Separate the dough into 6 or 8 pieces (it’s your call), then roll into a ball and place covered on a baking sheet to rise for another 10 minutes.
- While dough is rising, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add olive oil. Toss in onions with a sprinkle of salt, then cover and let caramelize for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine chicken with garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Roll each ball of dough into a small oval, then fill with a few spoonfuls of bbq sauce, shredded chicken, a handful of caramelized onions and a sprinkle of both cheeses. Toss in cilantro if desired.
- Drizzle a bit of additional sauce on top, then fold the top over to meet the bottom, tightly sealing the edges.
- Poke a few holes in the top with a knife or fork.
- Place calzones on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.