Soft Pretzel Bites
Yeast Dough Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp melted butter
Baking Soda Solution Ingredients:
- 5 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
Egg Wash for brushing Ingredients:
- egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- olive oil to coat the bowl
- pretzel salt
- caraway seeds(optional)
- pastry brush
- board for rolling
- parchment paper
- kitchen scissors
- slotted spoon
- Pour warm water into the bowl of your mixer, add honey and stir in yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes, until foamy. Make sure you use warm water, not hot. Hot water will kill the yeast
- Add 2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 cups of bread flour, melted butter and salt into the bowl with yeast and knead, using a dough hook attachment.
- If dough is too sticky add additional 1/2 cup of bread flour. This dough when kneaded is somewhat on a dense side.
- Knead for 5 minutes, or until the dough comes into a smooth ball.
- Preheat oven to 450 F
Forming the Pretzel Bites Directions
- Invert the dough onto a clean work surface(DO NOT USE ADDITIONAL FLOUR), cut dough into 6-8 sections and using palms of your hands roll the dough and form long ropes.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife cut the ropes into small pieces.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with the oil and put the dough into the bowl.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for a hour.
Baking Soda Solution Directions:
- Bring 5 cups of water to boil, add 1/3 cup baking soda.
- Put about 5 pieces of pretzel dough into the simmering solution and let cook for 30 seconds
- Remove pieces with slotted spoon and place them on baking sheet, continue with remaining dough.
Egg Wash Directions:
- Mix together water and egg yolk, set aside.
- Brush each piece with egg wash, sprinkle with salt and using scissor cut + into the each pretzel piece.
- Gently transfer pieces onto a clean baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.