- 3-4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 whole cloves
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 2-3 dates, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup regular milk (use all almond milk for vegan version)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of loose leaf black tea (Darjeeling or Assam)
- honey or vanilla sugar (optional for more sweetness)
- Lightly crush cardamon pods, cinnamon and cloves in a mortar and pestle.
- Put water in a pot and add crushed cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, dates and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the spices infuse their flavor for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the milk and almond milk to the pan and bring back to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the tea.
- Cover the pot, remove from heat and let it steep for 4-5 minutes.
- Masala Chai is ready! Use a fine sieve and strain it into a teapot or directly into serving cups.
- Add honey or vanilla sugar if you like sweeter tasting tea.