Lemon Mascarpone Brulee with Cherry Compote
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tspn lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 whole large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup of your freshly made mascarpone
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cherries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
Directions To make Mascarpone:
- Heat cream in saucepan until small bubble form at edge (do not boil!), add lemon juice and leave on the heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. If the cream hasn’t thickened return to heat and add more lemon juice.
- Place a sieve over a bowl, line the sieve with cheesecloth. Pour the mix into the sieve. Place in fridge and allow to drain overnight.
To make Tart Shells:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flour, kosher salt, cream and vanilla, until mixture is moist and crumbly.
- Press dough into four 4-inch tart pans (or one 9 or 10 inch tart pan) and press it up the sides, making sure the layer on the bottom is even.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crust is set and firm at the edges. Cool, and store in an airtight container until use.
- In a heavy saucepan combine butter, 3/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring, and remove pan from heat.
- In a bowl whisk together whole eggs, yolks, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar until thick and pale.
- Add hot butter mixture in a stream, whisking constantly, and transfer to pan.
- Cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until thick and just beginning to boil.
- Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl and stir in zest. Cool lemon mixture completely, its surface covered with buttered wax paper, and chill at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together mascarpone and cream until thick and smooth.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups lemon mixture, reserving remainder for another use, until combined well.
- Divide filling among shells, smoothing tops. Chill tarts, loosely covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Throw all sauce ingredients into a sauce pan. Cook until desired constancy is reached.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon superfine sugar evenly over each tart and caramelize with a blowtorch, moving flame evenly back and forth over sugar until melted and caramelized, about 30 seconds.
- Serve tarts with cherry sauce.