Vanilla, Salted Butter Caramel and Chocolate Mousse:
Ingredients For the caramel:
- 1/2 cup (100gr) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml ) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons (10gr) unsalted butter
Ingredients For the chocolate:
- 4 oz (120gr) dark semisweet chocolate
Ingredients For the vanilla mousse base:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50 gr) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 Tb (7gr) powdered gelatin, sprinkled over 3 Tb water
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
Directions for the Caramel:
- Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to cook until caramel in color.
- Remove from the heat and add the salt, heavy cream and butter.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
Directions for Chocolate:
- In a medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
Directions for Mousse base:
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until very pale.
- In the meantime, in a large saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk and the vanilla bean (split open and scraped over the milk) to a boil.
- Slowly pour the milk over the yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan over medium low heat and cook until the cream coats the back of a spoon (as if making creme anglaise).
- Add the softened gelatin and stir until melted completely into the cream. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks and fold it into the cooled cream base.
- Divide the base into three equal portions (one will stay untouched).
Directions to Assemble:
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the base to the caramel to lighten it a bit and stir with a spoon.
- Gently fold the rest of the allotted mousse base into the caramel with a spatula.
- Do the same for the chocolate portion.
- Layer all three parts evenly into dishes or ramekins and refrigerate for an hour.